BLOG TEMPLATE

Friday, March 4, 2011

Arrivederci

George H. Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston TX
March 3, 2011


ARRIVEDERCI

Today is the day! My flight leaves in approximately 2 hours and 2 minutes. On a wing and a prayer, as usual, I managed to pack everything I think I need into two brilliantly pink suitcases and a carry-on duffle, talk to everyone one last time, fight through Houston’s rush hour traffic and make to the airport on time!! All of which I absolutely could not have accomplished without the amazing, talented, and effervescent Alexandria, who has been helping and hosting me for the last four days; most of which were spent doubled over in hysterical laughter!  (Thanks babe, for everything. You drove that car like a BOSS!)

I am now waiting at Gate D 09, writing my very first blog post thingie, courtesy of Nicole - thank you thank you thank you for taking care of your technology-illiterate friend! Sitting here alone, I am surrounded by photographs of the NASA Space Station and listening to a steady stream of country music over the airport loudspeaker. Because, of course, someone decided that it would be a fabulous idea to blast the sounds of the heartland into Allie’s ears while she is leaving her home and her world and her everything for the next 90 days! I have actually done quite well, I think; I’ve only cried three times so far. Once when I had to get off the phone with my mama, once saying goodbye to Alex at the drop-off, and once in the line for security, when it finally occurred to me that I am leaving, really leaving, for Italy for three months, to learn how to make wine, and to learn how to live.

………high-pitched –squeaky-sqeal-jumping-up-and-down-flailing-allie-happy-dance!.........

Over the last few days, so many people have asked me if I’m nervous. I’m not nervous at all! Not concerned for my safety, though I will be smart and take care, I promise. Not nervous about meeting new people and being in different places; in fact, I’m excited about that part! I am absolutely thrilled to be going, I cannot wait to get started and get learning, and I feel incredibly blessed to have this opportunity. This is the next chapter in my crazy journey, born of a liberal arts degree, a severe existential crisis, a need for spiritual awakening, a love for red wine, an affinity for loud, fun-loving, familial cultures and a strong belief in the ontological goodness of growing things in the dirt.

Sometimes you've got to grab your world with your own two hands,
Set it spinning off on a course all your own,
Take yourself a big bag for your shoulder,
Find yourself some good times, bring them on back home
 - Pat Green, Carry On

Thought though, I am acutely aware that once again, I left my heart at home. Oh, how I wish I could just pick everyone that I love up and bring them with me!! I will miss everyone so, for I am blessed beyond comprehension, beyond reason, beyond measure in the only wealth that matters, family and friends and life and love. The only thing to do, really, is to feel it all, and to let thankfulness flow in every moment, for every moment. So tonight, I will simply say, I love you, I miss you, and I will see you oh-so-soon.

I carry your heart with me, I carry it in my heart 
– e.e. cummings

xoxoxoxoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. Allie, really? This was your first freaking post and I am tearing up already! This is not going to be a healthy blog for me to read...I am already addicted! KEEP GOING, you are doing SO GREAT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete