BLOG TEMPLATE

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Divine Providence


Sunday at St. Peter’s Basilica. It was a very dreary and gray day, and we missed saying the Angelus with the Pope because we couldn’t find a taxi! But we were not deterred, and spent all afternoon in St. Peter’s, taking our time, soaking everything in before Mass at the Altar of the Chair. It was a different experience than the first time I had been there, because we were not on a schedule, we did not have specific plan and we did not have a tour guide, or even a tour book. I know that there is just a ton of great things and history that we didn’t get, but this was actually beautiful too. Without the stress of trying to cram my brain with a gazillion facts, I was able to simply enjoy and be in awe of such a structure. Every single thing in the Basilica is grand, and beautiful, generations and generations of the practice of faith, the earnest effort of a people to honor their God.


An unbelievable moment

As we were leaving the Square, we turned a corner, and I caught a glimpse of a familiar face, dressed in a full-length cassock, striding towards St. Peter’s with a similarly black vested figure at his side. None other than Fr. Kerry Wakulich, chaplain of my high school back home in Oklahoma, Bishop Kelley, and with him Fr. Brian O’Brien, who is President at Bishop Kelley! I had to do about 3 double takes, but it was true! I have known them both since they were seminarians at summer camp. We had a massive meetings of hugs and exclamations and squeals of delight (from me :)) right there across from St. Peter’s Square.




 I simply could not believe my eyes! It was just crazy to meet up with them here in Rome, since they didn’t know my plan for 3 months in Italy, and I had no idea they were taking a group of kids from Kelley on a spring break trip to Rome! I was overjoyed, as they are my two very favorites, and we all just couldn’t stop laughing!


Megan and I spent the evening with the Kelley entourage; we said evening prayer with the good Fathers and were invited to dinner with them and Monsignor Muggenburg, another incredible priest from OK. We had so much fun, and after gelato over the old bridge, ended the night with joyful hugs and goodbyes. Hopefully I’ll be able to see them again while they are here; they brought the Oklahoma sunshine with them! It was absolute blessing, an amazing moment, a true gift.


2 comments:

  1. Gods world is so gloriously BIG, but so intimately small at the same time....Isn't it amazing how he can bring you home in another country not your own. Such beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am sitting at Archi right now alone having some tea. Just got back from Hong Kong this morning. Trying to cut back on my latte's... and I miss you terribly. I ache for my Allie!!!!! Come sit with me!!!!

    ReplyDelete